Thursday, October 26, 2017

Freestyle Band Makes Homecoming Performance

When it comes to music, it cannot be denied that Davao City has produced quite a number of talents (both individuals and groups) that have made it to the national and international scene. The Freestyle Band is just one of them.

Born in Davao City in 1996, the band has created many hit songs well-loved by music fans from the generations X and Y to even the millennials. From doing gigs in the local scene, the group eventually moved to Manila in 1998 where it gained huge success recording albums, doing concerts and corporate shows and earning music awards.

Freestyle Band performing during Apo View Hotel's recent relaunch.
Back here in Davao, Freestyle had its first gigs in various venues. They performed at the former Pag-Asa Bar of Apo View Hotel, The Venue (across Central Bank) and in corporate shows. Thanks to brothers Bolichie and Tat Suzara for this first-hand information.     

I'm a big fan of this homegrown band and to watch them perform live in any venue has always been my greatest wish. Luckily after the long wait, I was able to fulfill that wish last week. I got super excited when I learned they would be in town for a homecoming performance at the place where they started - Apo View Hotel. And since I still haven't seen this group perform live ever, I promised myself to watch them "this time."

Poster courtesy of Freestyle Band's official Facebook page.
Watching the band's live performance was indeed a dream fulfilled. I especially loved their rendition of "You" originally sang by Basil Valdez, one of my favorite original Pilipino music (OPM) songs. Keep the music playing guys!

On a side note, that trip to Apo View Hotel last week gave me an opportunity to reconnect with the Suzara brothers Bolichie (bass player/photographer/band manager) and Tat (Freestyle's lead guitarist/backup vocals) who I first met back in 1990.  I've known these two jolly and friendly guys when they were still with the Wackadoos Band. They're both passionate about their craft and there's no dull moment when you're in their company.

I'm happy that Freestyle Band is still around today to entertain people here and abroad. Undoubtedly, they're still one of the country's best! You can follow the band on Facebook and on Instagram via @freestyleofficial for updates on their gigs.


No comments:

Post a Comment