Friday, February 9, 2018

Eco-friendly Davao Groups Receive Bikes from CORE/R.O.X.

Davao is a bike-friendly city and in fact, an ordinance is already in place with the aim of creating bike lanes around the metro. Right now, the city is home to a number of cycling groups that promote a healthy lifestyle and hold yearly fun ride events. These groups vary in the bicycles they use as some are dedicated to mountain bikes while the others cater to different types including the classic bikes, folding bikes and the BMX.

Recently, two eco-friendly and non-profit organizations in Davao City each received five brand new bikes and other bike gears such as Fox helmets and gloves from CORE (Center for Outdoor Recreation and Expedition) through its Heroes on Wheels program and R.O.X. Philippines. The recipients were Cycle for Life and Tuburan Institute chosen by CORE's partner Firefly Brigade. They are the fourth and fifth beneficiaries of the program, respectively.

CORE/R.O.X. Phil turnover 10 bikes to 2 Davao organizations. (Photo by ROX Abreeza)

CORE program manager Kristine Villaflor, during the turnover event, said Heroes on Wheels started providing bikes for the Doctors to the Barrios in Tacloban in the aftermath of the Yolanda typhoon. The bicycles proved very helpful in allowing doctors to reach far flung areas which had limited access to medical facilities.

Firefly Brigade president Jack Yabut, for his part, said his group was tapped by the Primer Group of Companies and CORE to lead the search for deserving beneficiaries of bikes around the country. In Davao, they chose Cycle for Life and Tuburan Institute with the belief that the two groups will be able to make good use of the bikes in their respective campaigns and activities.


Cycle for Life is a group dedicated to promoting the use of bicycles as a sustainable form of transportation and improving physical fitness. Last September 2017, it also received bike gears from R.O.X. Philippines for use by some members who need them.

Tuburan Institute, on the other hand, is a Steiner/Waldorf School based in Tugbok that teaches life skills to children in a nature environment. It is the only one of its kind in Mindanao and the 7th in the Philippines.

Let's Bike Davao! 


As a biking enthusiast, it is my fervent wish for Davao City to have its own bicycle lifestyle similar to Thailand, Japan and certain parts of Europe in the future. It would be a major achievement if many people here will eventually use bikes in going to and from work, school and their other destinations around the metro.

I actually took a small step towards achieving this goal back in 2011 when my friend Mercy B. and I organized the "Let's Bike Davao!" fun ride. It was a pre-Araw ng Dabaw event that gathered bikers of all kinds one Saturday morning (March 13) for a fun ride.


Our route covered Damosa in Lanang going to Bajada then Quirino then back to People's Park where a program was held. We gave out prizes for the raffle, freebies and some BMX bikers even showcased their stunts during our short program. Our special guest then was the late Councilor Leo Avila who authored the biking ordinance.




I'm happy to share that it was a successful event, thanks to our sponsors and the participation of Davao City's cycling groups including the City Police on Bikes. Now, I'm glad to know that Cycle for Life led by Monica Ayala exists to push this advocacy of using bikes for sustainability and a healthy lifestyle. I hope to join the group in its future rides together with my kids.

I've always loved biking ever since I learned how to ride a bike (I think I was 7 then) and I crave for it every now and then. It has been my favorite past time since I was a kid until high school. Now, I still bike whenever I can but just around the neighborhood or at Magsaysay Park with my daughter in tow. I get a different high when I'm pushing pedals. I guess the feeling is similar to driving a car, riding a motorcycle or flying a plane especially if you love doing it.

Maybe another round of our biking event? Why not? Tara, let's bike Davao!!

No comments:

Post a Comment