Saturday, October 1, 2016

Davao City's Bid for the Guinness Book of World Records

I have long wanted to take part in a major event that aims for a spot in the Guinness Book of World Records and so when I learned about Davao City's latest attempt for a world record, I immediately told myself that I'm going to be there. The event's goal was to gather the most number of people to simultaneously sing the Philippine National Anthem.

It was a Saturday afternoon, two days before the national elections or May 7, 2016 to be exact, when my son and I went to Crocodile Park in Ma-a for this Guinness activity. Initially, we wanted to take the free bus ride offered at the Buhangin gym but when we arrived there, the line was just too long and numerous people were trying their luck to get a free ride from other vehicles including dump trucks heading towards the venue.

Fortunately, my son and I were able to hitch a ride at the back of an elf truck together with other eager participants. But since traffic was very heavy already near the venue, we had to get down and walk a few kilometers more. Call time was 5:00 p.m. and it was already 4:30 when we got there so we ran just to go inside the venue and join the others who were already there since early morning.

Singing our "Lupang Hinirang" together with hundreds of thousands of people in one venue gave me goosebumps. It was one historic event that gave me so much pride as a Filipino and one that will forever be inked in my mind and heart. The attempt may not have been successful to gain a spot in the famous Guinness Book of World Records but one thing's for sure, it united Dabawenyos and non-Dabawenyos.
Getting ready to sing "Lupang Hinirang." 

 Sharing here the photos I took before and after the event. Being there along with the hundreds of thousands of Dabawenyos near or far in a once-in-a-lifetime event gave me a great feeling of fulfillment and solidarity with people I have just met. I never regretted taking part even if I had to walk almost seven kilometers from the venue afterwards just to be able to go home.

A sea of Dabawenyos and non-Dabawenyos showing their full support. 

Dabawenyos of all ages eager to go to the venue. 

Participants in their designated areas awaiting the main event. 

Even the Lumads came to show their support. 


No comments:

Post a Comment